Friday, August 19, 2011

Unexpected Culprit

So I've had terrible heartburn for the last week and a half. Literally all day long until I have gone to bed each night. TMI? Maybe, but I'd advise reading on. This is info you might want to know!

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I've been meeting my water intake goal everyday. I've been consuming approximately 100 oz. of water per day. I use the Crystal Light To-Go packets, but I split each pack into multiple cups because I find the flavors far too strong. I use only (1) To-Go packet per day, so really it's very little per cup.

 

It's not that I dislike regular water, but our City's water has an odor and tastes terrible! Filtering the water doesn't help very much and consistently drinking bottled water isn't quite in the budget.

So back to the heartburn. I began having heartburn at 10am this morning and started thinking how crazy that was. I'd only had a glass of milk, a granola bar, a cup of coffee, and 24 oz. of Crystal Light water by that point. I'm not sure what made me think of it, but it occurred to me that the Crystal Light might be causing the heartburn. I sort of laughed it off, but just to be safe, I didn't drink anymore water. Mid afternoon, I got to a computer and did what I do whenever I need valuable information: I Googled. Sure enough, I wasn't alone. Apparently Crystal Light contains Citric Acid and Aspartame, which are both causes of intense heartburn and upset stomach. Who knew?!

Needless to say, I've taken a brief hiatus from water this afternoon. I'm going to look into different filtering options and until then just drink bottled water!

What did I learn from this? READ THE LABELS!

2 comments:

  1. Would have never thought of that! There is some other stuff that might be Gatorade brand or something but it's actually liquid drops you add to water. I'll look for it and let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal Light doesn't give me heartburn but it makes me retain water. My fingers swell so much i can't get my rings on when I drink it.

    ReplyDelete